Saturday, 26 January 2013

Chanel Haute Couture S/S 2013

Chanel, Haute Couture, Spring Summer 2013, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Chanel, Haute Couture, Spring Summer 2013, A Midsummer Night's Dream
Chanel, Haute Couture, Spring Summer 2013, A Midsummer Night's Dream
The theatricality at Chanel never ceases to amaze me. Lets think back; Swedish icebergs at F/W 2010, underwater magic complete with Florence Welch singing in a giant clam that was S/S 2012 and who can forget the runway filled with gigantic wind turbines at S/S 2013. The list can go on forever so with Chanel's past history of drama filled shows, I would expect nothing less.

As a student who studies Shakespeare, it's hard to overlook the reference to 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'. The feathered models with those smudged smokey eyes to me is the perfect portrayal of Titania's fellow fairies. The styling was by no means obsessive compulsive. But it evoked this languid atmosphere as if all were woken from a deep slumber by the arrival of an audience into the Grand Palais.

Such a vision was paralleled by the garments drifting down the runway in the form of tweed capes, thigh high lace boots and floral applique gowns. I particular loved the emphasis on off-the-shoulder necklines, sometimes directly obvious but other times an illusion created by careful layering. Of course, Karl Lagerfeld must always imply a deeper message in his shows, sending down a lesbian bride as the final look. Way to create a lasting impression!

Picture Source: http://www.vogue.co.uk/ 

14 comments:

  1. I really love the variety in this collection! The last two dresses are wonderful!
    http://fashiongirl134.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning as usual !!

    XX Luba

    Well Living Blog :: posting from Avignon and featuring my new DvF wallet
    http://www.well-living-blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your comparison to Shakespeare especially "Midsummer's Night Dream" since I did that play in High school! I played Helena, which was a lot of fun. I love the white dress in the second row.

    xo
    Tiffy
    http://www.CuteLA.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh wow, this collection is amazing
    xx
    much love
    samecookiesdifferent.blogsopt.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great collection!
    The lace tights are gorgeous!
    xoxo

    novelstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous blog, love this post!

    lots of love from the c&p girls,
    casper&pearl blog
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such pretty designs. Love your last outfit post too :)



    Emm
    SPIN DIZZY FALL
    Visit me at http://spindizzyfall.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  8. i noticed exactly that..i have been loving chanel's collection more and more every time..

    ReplyDelete
  9. cool post! I really like it!

    http://glamourgirl-bg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love chanel! EVERY girl loves chanel!
    Karl is a genis!
    I haven't studied shakespear so i wouldn't know that where the inspiration came from!
    Also a great review from yourself!
    A
    www.23ofashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't even realize the whole midsummer night's thing going on till you pointed it out! loving the dramatic makeup

    Mili from call me, Maeby

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your site and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your site. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.
    Architectural Walkthrough
    Architectural Visualization
    Architectural Rendering
    3D Animation
    Product Animation
    3D Modeling
    Corporate Presentation
    3D Images
    Real Estate Publicity
    Multimedia Presentation

    ReplyDelete